Speed Up – MelodyDay

MelodyDay is a 4 member girl group who made their debut last year. While their past songs have been mediocre, this song proves that there is something more to them. This is your typical KPOP song and it is something that makes me remember the golden years of KPOP. This song has great vocals, catchy tune, smooth sounds and a great instrumental to it. The song had promised a rock / chic sound and we got just that. The song actually matches up with the title. The speeds in the song does the song wonders. And that is what made the song sound so smoothly. Yes, there was a few stoppages that got to me, but it did not bother me that much. I would have loved a bit more rapping, but each member of this group has really great vocals and I am quite satisfied with what I got. There was one English line that did annoy me: “I’ll be parking in the party”. What does that even mean? While the song had great references to driving and whatnot, that line just annoyed me a little too much. But overall, I think this was a great song and it really caught my attention.

The music video features Junior from GOT7 and I thought while his addition to the music video was okay, it was definitely not needed. Honestly, he looked like he stumbled upon the magazine Playboy. It was just a simple pop culture magazine, there was no need to exaggerate the acting that was required. And the ending. I am just going to conclude that it was too exaggerated for me to watch. As for the girls, there was not much to them in this video. Wait, I meant plot wise. Cause 90% of the video was just them dancing and singing. The other 10% was the start and end of the video featuring Junior. I actually like the sets and the bright lights in this video. It gave off that atmosphere of an upbeat song. I felt like there could have been more to the video. For example, there was a lot of imagery in the lyrics, so why not add some of that imagery to the video? It would added more depth and might have made it a little more interesting.

They are not known for their dancing, let me get that straight. There was nothing for me to go wow about in this dance and that was disappointing. This song has so much potential for a powerful routine. Well, at least they did not forego their vocals. Their vocals during the live performances were pretty strong and solid.

This song put these girls on my list of groups to watch for. Not sure if they would become the next big thing in KPOP yet, but if they do put out more amazing songs like this, that catches my attention, I am willing to give these girls a listening ear. (Their debut song was not that bad, but the music video is something you should check out – it won last year’s Best Music Video at Melon Music Awards). 7/10

One thought on “Speed Up – MelodyDay

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s