Congratulations to Stray Kids for being voted the Best Overall Artist and Best Male Group of 2022 in the 2022 KPOPREVIEWED Awards. In addition to that Stray Kids also took home Best Stage Presence, Best Group Choreography – Male (for MANIAC), Best Electronic Song (for MANIAC) and Best International Song by a Korean Artist – Japanese (for CIRCUS). For more of the 2022 KPOPREVIEWED Awards, click here.
It has been a long time coming, but here is the album review for MAXIDENT, Stray Kids’ 7th and their best selling release yet. I have been waiting a long time to actually sit down to review the album, but time and other things just got in the way. I have been actually been holding back on the album review segment as well, just because it didn’t feel right to proceed with the segment with listening deeper to MAXIDENT. Released back in October 2022 with CASE 143 as the title track, MAXIDENT went on to do over 2 million in album sales. And I think I read somewhere today that the album ended up being one of the best sellers globally in 2022. Massive feats for Stray Kids. In addition to CASE 143, there are 7 addition track (3 side tracks that I have reviewed in separate song reviews, 3 unit tracks and the Korean version of their Japanese single CIRCUS).
1. CASE 143 (Title Track) – Click here to read the full review for CASE 143. (8.5/10)
2. CHILL (식혀) – Click here to read the full review for CHILL. (8/10)
3. Give Me Your TMI – Click here to read the full review for Give Me Your TMI. (10/10)
4. SUPER BOARD – Click here to read the full review for SUPER BOARD. (8.5/10)
5. 3Racha – The self-titled 3Racha track by the 3Racha producing team (Bangchan, Changbin & Han) should come as no surprise for being rap-centric song. 3Racha is a super intense track with the unit rapping about their success and achievements thus far in their careers. Based on their delivery, they each really showed their rapping potential in the song. Changbin is usually the member that I focus on, but both Han and Bangchan really showed their passion and skills in this song. The ending did fizzle out the intensity and momentum that the three were hurling at us throughout the song, but it doesn’t necessarily ruin the experience as they killed it in the song overall. (8/10)
6. TASTE – Lee Know, Hyunjin and Felix takes the album down a mature turn with TASTE. I really found the smoothness and mysterious tones to TASTE were strong characteristics of the song, and this adds to the sensual energy that the song delivers – I never knew organs can sound like this. Each of the three members stand out in their own way in the song, but I think Lee Know really takes the spotlight with his vocals. Given that the trio are also the members of the DANCERACHA unit, TASTE is well-designed for the trio and lends well to feature a memorable choreography routine thanks to the presence of instrumental moments for the trio to showcase something impact on stage and the intensity of the song. (9/10)
7. Can’t Stop (나 너 좋아하나봐) – Out of the three unit tracks, Seungmin and I.N’s Can’t Stop was my favourite. You might boil it down towards me having a bias towards vocalists per my past reviews, but Can’t Stop was quite an unexpected surprised. It was a simple pop rock that sounds so cheerful and had a great feel-good vibe to it. Can’t Stop necessarily didn’t show off both VOCALRACHA’s vocal capabilities, but it was a fun listen. And that I thoroughly enjoyed. (9/10)
8. CIRCUS (Korean Version) – The Japanese version of CIRCUS was previously reviewed on this blog. Click here to read that review for CIRCUS. (9/10)